Conveniently Located in Northwest Houston


Name:  Details:


The adoption process can be a very emotional experience for everyone involved. You may be feeling excited, anxious, or unsure about what steps to take next. The attorneys at Wilhite & Associates, P.C. are here to answer all your questions and walk you through the process.

The term "adoption" covers many situations and areas of law. Some areas that might be of particular concern to your family include:

  • Step-Parent Adoption
  • Grandparent Adoption
  • Termination of Parental Rights

Adopting a child can be a fairly long and complicated process. If you are interested in adopting a child, or are considering placing your child up for adoption, you should contact an experienced attorney immediately to discuss your options and rights.

Houston Adoption Attorneys

If you are in the greater Houston area, including Harris, Fort Bend, Grimes, Waller, and Washington counties, and you are thinking about adopting a child or placing your child up for adoption, or you are facing a suit to terminate the parent-child relationship with your child, contact Wilhite & Associates, P.C. for a consultation today. Our attorneys are experienced with handling adoption and are ready to work closely with your family to achieve your adoption goals.

Adoption Information Center

There are several key aspects to the adoption experience that our attorneys can assist you with, whether you are a natural parent or a potential adoptive parent. These include:

  • What adoption means
  • When a child may be adopted
  • Termination of the Parent-Child Relationship
  • The Rights of Fathers
  • The Adoption Process
  • The Rights of an Adopted Child
  • Adult Adoption
  • Adoption Resources

Back to top

What Adoption Means

When you legally adopt a child, an adoption decree will be entered by the court. This decree says that a parent-child relationship exists between the adoptive parents and the child, the same as if the child was born to the parents.

Any adult, single or married, can adopt a child, as long as the court finds that the adoption is in the child’s best interests. If you are married, both spouses must join in the adoption.

Except in very limited circumstances involving Native American children, the courts may not discriminate based on race or ethnicity of the child or the parents. Usually a parent of any race can adopt a child of any race, as long as the adoption is in the child’s best interest.

Back to top

When a Child May Be Adopted

A child may be adopted if:

  • Both of the child’s natural parents have died OR
  • The parent-child relationship with both parents has been terminated OR
  • A step-parent (spouse of a natural parent) wants to adopt the child

A former step-parent may also adopt a child, if

  • The child is at least two years old,
  • The parent-child relationship has been terminated with at least one natural parent
  • The former step-parent has been named the child’s Managing Conservator, or has had possession of the child for a certain amount of time

For example, if a step-parent is raising a child after the child’s natural parent (the step-parent’s spouse) has died, the step parent may be able to legally adopt the child, as long as the child is over two years old and certain criteria are met.

You should discuss the specifics of your situation with your lawyer, who will help you decide if adoption is an option for your family, and what steps you need to take next.

Back to top

Termination of the Parent-Child Relationship

In many cases, the child being adopted has living natural parents. The parent-child relationship between the child and these parents will need to be terminated before the child can be adopted. The termination process can be a very emotional experience for the parents and child involved. Our attorneys are here to help you understand the process and to protect your rights.

Voluntary Termination During Pregnancy

The parent-child relationship may be terminated voluntarily by an unmarried pregnant woman. Many women choose this route to allow the child to be adopted soon after they are born. An unwed mother may file her petition to terminate her rights as a parent anytime after her first trimester of pregnancy. A hearing will be held on her petition at least five days after the child is born, giving the mother the chance to change her mind. If the mother does not wish to go to court, Texas law allows for her to file an affidavit instead, forty-eight hours or more after the child is born. This affidavit is still revocable for ten days, giving her another opportunity to change her mind. Both adult and teenage mothers may sign these affidavits.

Of course, the rights of the father must also be addressed in the termination. These men have the option of signing an Affidavit of Waiver of Interest, which is irrevocable. It basically says that the man does not believe he is the father, and will not be involved in any further proceedings.

If you are unmarried and facing an unplanned pregnancy, and you’re interested in adoption, contact us today for a consultation to discuss your rights and goals.

Involuntary Termination

Involuntary termination of the parent-child relationship may be appropriate where a parent acts in a way that is harmful to a child. Involuntary termination can only take place when it is in the best interest of the child AND certain grounds for termination are met. These grounds for termination include:

  • Neglect, such as failure to properly feed or clothe the child
  • Abuse, including allowing the child to remain in an abusive situation
  • Parental Misconduct, such as failing to enroll the child in school
  • Use of drugs or alcohol that endangers the child
  • Failure to support the child for more than one year
  • Imprisonment for more than two years
  • Certain other grounds, including serious emotional or mental illness that makes the parent unable to care for the child

An involuntary termination proceeding is very complex and the courts are required to take certain steps to protect the rights of the parents and child. If you are facing an involuntary termination proceeding, or you believe that the grounds for involuntary termination apply to you or someone in your family, you should contact a lawyer immediately.

Back to top

The Rights of Fathers

Fathers have the same right to their children as mothers. A father has the right to challenge the adoption of his child, and has a right to protection where their relationship with their child is being terminated involuntarily.

If you are married and your wife has a baby, you are presumed to be the child’s father. You will also be presumed to be the child’s father if you are listed on the birth certificate, or if you live with the child for the first two years of its life and tell others it’s your own. But what if you don’t do any of those things, but you believe you may have fathered a child?

Many men do not know that The State of Texas maintains a paternity registry. This registry allows men to assume responsibility for children they may have fathered out of wedlock. Filing with this registry protects your right to be involved in legal proceedings regarding your children. Perhaps more importantly, failure to register may terminate your parental rights.

If you believe you may have fathered a child and want more information regarding your responsibility to the child, or how to waive your rights to the child, you should contact one of Our attorneys for a consultation.

Back to top

The Adoption Process

Once the parental rights of the natural parents have been terminated, the formal adoption process may begin.

The court will order a pre-adoptive social study. During this study, a social worker will come to your home to check on the conditions the child will be living in. This study must take place before the child will be placed in the home, and the adoptive parents pay for the study.

After the child is placed in the home, another study is usually conducted, to give the court a clear picture of what the child’s home life will be like with the new family.

The child cannot be formally adopted until he or she has lived with the adoptive parents for six months. This requirement may be waived if it’s in the child’s best interest.

If the child is over age 12, he or she will have to consent to the adoption. However, this requirement can also be waived, if it’s in the child’s best interest.

In most cases, a report will be filed by the person or agency placing the child up for adoption. This report contains important information regarding the child’s social history (such as relationship with siblings), health, educational history, genetics (such as ethnic background, or the cause of death of ancestors), and history of child abuse. An edited version of this report is given to the adoptive parents.

The adoption suit takes place in court, in the county where the child lives or the adoptive parents live. The judge will decide whether the adoption is in the best interest of the child, based in part on the social study. The child and adoptive parents are usually entitled to be in court.

Once the adoption decree is entered, the parent-child relationship between the adopted parents and the child is established.

Back to top

The Rights of Adopted Children

Once the adopted child is an adult, he or she has certain rights. These rights include:

  • The right to see a summary of the Social, Health, Educational and Genetic History report
  • The right to register with a voluntary registry to find its natural parents and/or siblings
  • In many cases, the right to inherit property from his natural parents

However, in Texas, adoption records are usually sealed, and the child does not have the right to see those records.

If you were adopted as a child you should contact an attorney to learn more about your right to access to your biological parents and adoption information.

Back to top

Adult Adoption

Most people do not know that Texas law allows for one adult to adopt another adult. This is usually done for inheritance purposes. An adult adoptee can inherit through his adopted parents, but not his natural parents. The natural parents also cannot inherit from the adopted adult.

Because adults usually know what’s in their best interest, the court does not decide if the adoption is in the adoptee’s best interest. All an adult adoptee must do is consent to the adoption before a notary public.

Back to top


Texas Adoption Resources Exchange — View waiting children and learn more about the adoption process

Adoption Registry — online registry for those seeking their birth families

Putative Father Registry — In Texas, the putative father registry is an option for unmarried males to document through a notary public any female they engage with in intercourse, for the purpose of retaining parental rights for any child they may father. Forms may be requested from and returned to the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics

Bureau of Vital Statistics
Texas Department of Health
1100 West 49th
Austin, TX, 78756
Tel: 1-888-963-7111, ext. 7782 or 512-458-7782

Back to top

Wilhite & Associates, P.C. | Texas Adoption Lawyers

The adoption process can be daunting at time. You don’t have to face it alone. The attorneys at Wilhite & Associates, P.C., can help you navigate the process and create your perfect family. If you are in the greater Houston area and are interested in learning more, contact us today to speak directly with one of our attorneys about your case.

Wilhite & Associates, P.C. represents clients from all over Southeast Texas, including:

Harris County - Aldine, Atascocita, Barrett, Barker, Baytown, Bellaire, Brownwood, Bunker Hill Village, Channelview, Clear Lake, Cloverleaf, Crosby, Cypress, Deer Park, East Houston, El Lago, Galena Park, Hedwig Village, Highlands, Hilshire Village, Houston, Hudson, Humble, Hunters Creek Village, Jacinto City, Jersey Village, Katy, Kingwood, Klein, La Porte, Louetta, Lynchburg, Nassau Bay, North Houston, Pasadena, Piney Point Village, Seabrook, Sheldon, Shoreacres, South Houston, Southside Place, Spring, Spring Valley, Taylor Lake Village, Tomball, Webster, West University Place

Montgomery County - Conroe, Cut and Shoot, Magnolia, Montgomery, Oak Ridge North, Panorama Village, Patton Village, Roman Forest, Shenandoah, Splendora, Stagecoach, Willis, Woodbranch, Woodloch, The Woodlands

Fort Bend County - Arcola, Beasley, Fairchilds, Fulshear, Kendleton, Meadows Place, Missouri City, Needville, Orchard, Pleak, Richmond, Rosenberg, Simonton, Stafford, Sugar Land, Thompsons

Waller County - Brookshire, Hempstead, Pattison, Pine Island, Prairie View, Waller

Grimes County - Anderson, Bedias, Iola, Navasota, Todd Mission

Washington County - Brenham, Burton, Chappell Hill

The hiring of a personal injury attorney or other civil law attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide which Houston attorney to hire for your case, ask us to send you free written information about our legal experience and qualifications.

This site is sponsored by George W. Wilhite, P.C. Our principal office is located in Harris County, Texas at 17101 Kuykendahl Rd., Houston, TX 77068.

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. The information you obtain at this website is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your own particular situation. The content of this site, including but not limited to written text, images, videos, and informational articles, has not been prepared, endorsed, or reviewed by any form of licensed medical professional, doctor, or physician. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, medical advice. All visitors are encouraged to consult with a physician or other licensed medical professional for any form of medical advice.

Use of this website or submission of an online form does not create an attorney-client relationship. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship is formed until after you consulted with an attorney at Wilhite & Associates, P.C. and have signed a client agreement. Please do not send any confidential information to us until after an attorney-client relationship has been established. Contact us today for more information.

Copyright 2016 MaxeyMedia